Monday, September 19, 2011

The Joy of Tweens

One of my greatest joys in life right now is volunteering at Summit Church with Surge, the middle school ministry.  I have been walking with a group of ten 12 year old girls for over a year, now.  They are currently in the seventh grade and an absolute joy in my life.


When the school year started this past August, I made it a goal to meet with a different girl each week during this first semester.  It is most definitely a challenge having a schedule where I work mostly nights and weekends and the girls being in school during the week.  God is faithful and allowing me to keep my commitment with Him.  

The time I spend with these girls has proven to be meaningful as I get to know what they are walking through on a day to day basis.  I am privileged to be able to pour into their lives, encouraging them toward Christ.  Teenagers have a lot more challenges in this day and age with internet, cell phones, and parents who both have to work.  I have seen a lot of kids whose parents don't know how to parent and it breaks my heart.  As you've noticed, I mentioned teenagers and yet these girls have only just turned twelve.  What they walk through day to day is a lot more than what I remember having to deal with at their age.

Last week I met with a girl whom I've gotten to know quite well over the past year.  She's always a joy to be around--imaginative and bright.  This young lady is the definition of a Tween--sometimes acts like a teenager and yet still has many child-like characteristics.  She dresses rather stylishly and carries a large pleather bag over her shoulder of which she usually produces some sort of toy.  She's the oldest of three and home-schooled.  I find her parents to be the exception to the rule of an age where parents don't know how to parent.  They are doing a great job with their daughter.  

In fact, when asked one thing she would want to ask God she began talking about her relationship with her siblings.  As she talked about it I listened and then came up with her own answer to her problems.  I added here and there, mostly just agreeing with her that she's becoming more of a teenager and her younger siblings are having to adjust to that, still being children.  Then she added on to that fact with something her dad had share with the three of them--a reference to Romans 12:14-21.  Not only did this girl talk herself through her own problem but shared a Biblical truth with me that I needed to hear that day.

I found that I was ignorantly amazed that a 12 year old girl had encouraged me at a time when I thought was meant to encourage her.  Of course she did.  Tweens still have the innocent faith of a child but are of an age where they are privy to the more intellectual depths of spiritual truths.  How fortunate they are!  

I was definitely reminded of why I love working with middle school students.

No comments:

Post a Comment