Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Escape


It seems that the more opportunities I have to travel over seas, the more frequently I have the longing to go.  Recently my husband and I were watching a television show set in England and remarked how great it would be to go there.  This urge has come to me more and more lately.  It might be a movie, a post on Facebook from a friend living in another country, or a support letter from a missionary but I'm frequently reminded that there is a bigger world out there than my little world that I live daily.  Maybe it's the stress of the chaos I've been living that inspired me to write this poem.


Visiting a castle in Slovakia, Summer 2011


Fly me away
To the great mounts of the Eastern Old
To the lush green Kingdom holds
Dash me from this familiar land
With my love who’s won my hand
Fly me away
To the unknown language, a rousing thrill
To the barefooted native hill
Dash me from dutiful fate
With my beloved whose heart did wait
Fly me away
To the Old Country’s ancient towers
To the narrow cobblestones to walk for hours
Dash me from this oft tread ground
With my dearest forever bound

No comments:

Post a Comment